Independent 2016-06-24 — Now
Help non-profits with advocacy via the web. Create tools and strategies to manage funding and improve workflow of staff and volunteers.
Huttleston Data Design, Inc. 1996-01-01 — 2016-06-24
Founder and head geek of Huttleston Data Design, Inc. Solved tricky data workflow challenges for membership organizations, self-funded insurance groups and community advocates. Managed big volumes of "little" data-- web payments, advocate interactions, and payroll exports. Responsibilities included coding, sales, system architecture, project management, developer training, and talking to customers.
- Developed the web payment system for AFSCME in Wisconsin. Expanded to other unions and processed over $10 million in dues and donations.
- Negotiated with state agencies in Maryland, Ohio, and Wisconsin to create APIs needed to move data between AFSCME and the state's EFT payment processor
- Managed the online voter file for the Tom Daschle reelection bid. Recorded 40 million interactions with 500,000 voters in the state of South Dakota.
- Processed and launched voter data for eight states in sixty days covering 38 million voters for Howard Dean's presidential campaign.
- Ran the nation-wide political outreach data center for a major labor union.
- Launched the business on bare metal servers, and then migrated all services to the cloud as technology permitted.
Preschool of the Arts 2013-04-01 — 2015-04-01
Preschool of the Arts in Madison Wisconsin is a hub of early childhood education. IT Committee Chairperson, and helped PSA launch their new website. Also, assisted in decision making for transition from local machines to cloud services.
Gilda's Club Madison 2012-08-01 — Now
Helped with fund raising, TV commercial appearance, TV News interviews, and meeting volunteers.
Wingra School 2015-09-01 — Now
Parent advocate including in-person outreach and promotional video called "Transitions: How Wingra Prepares Students to Fly"
University of Wisconsin-Madison 1988-01-01 — 1992-01-01
Carleton College 1984-01-01 — 1988-01-01
Technical Reviewer for "Penetration Testing with the Bash shell" 2014-05-26
Technical Reviewer for Keith Makan's book on using the Linux Bash terminal to tackle a collection of common security-related problems.
Test results from the SMES proof of principle experiment 1991-01-01
Performance and stability of a prototype 4 telsa solenoid used for Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage (SMES). Part of the research into the Superconducting Super Collider project.
Data Automation (APIs and ETL)
Database Programming and Admin
- Performance tuning
Web Server-side Programming
- Apache HTTPD
- JSON Web Tokens
Web Client-side Programming
- Google Cloud Platform
- IP Firewalls
- HTTPS Proxy Firewalls
- Performance reviews
- Conflict resolution
- Tech support staffing
- Service oriented architecture
- Reactive programming
- Work queues
- Dependency management
- Open source project assessment
- Legacy system integration
- Cost estimation
Teaching and Training
- Developer training
- End-user training
- Managing mission-critical processes
- News interviews
- Public Service Announcements
- Integrated data and text with knitr
- How-To Guides
- Proof-of-principle documentation
- Literate programming