I've been a full-stack web software engineer and system architect focused on delivery, or as they say, "DevOps", for over 20 years. I specialize in SOA applications using dynamic languages. I've been a remote worker for the past 20 years and understand the high levels of communication and self discipline required. I'm a huge supporter of open source software and have contributed to many projects over the years on both github and SourceForge.
Simple Finance 2018-10-29 —
Lead team of infrastructure and security engineers in providing secure, PCI-DSS compliant platform for regulated financial technology company
- Wrote strategy for migration from custom AWS EC2 delivery architecture to serverless platform to increase resiliency in operations
- Lead effort to eliminate bespoke services for highly available third party services with larger community and/or company support
- Lead effort to provide better monitoring of core services and forecast alerting so team could be more proactive
- Started design of contingency plan and procedures in case of catastrophic failure or compromise of infrastructure components
- Participate in on-call rotation to address immediate issues in infrastructure services
18F/General Services Administration 2015-11-16 — 2018-10-19
Provide general guidance on DevOps best practices for the organization, reporting to the Director of Engineering. Serve as one of the lead engineers for <a href="https://cloud.gov">cloud.gov</a>, a platform as a service for government teams, much like Heroku.
- Held bi-weekly 'office hours' to provide other engineers peer feedback on their DevOps strategy and implementation
- Lead professional development community of practice composed of DevOps experts and those interested in increasing their DevOps skills within GSA
- Provided project review for DevOps best practices and posture across the organization
- Implemented organizational approach and automation for keeping sensitive data out of published source code
- Initiated and developed plan for full automation pipeline of the cloud.gov platform, including infrastructure as code, automated testing, and continuous delivery
- Regularly investigated and resolved cloud.gov platform issues and participated in on-call rotation
- Perform compliance related functions, such as documentation and audit interviews, to maintain FedRAMP JAB provisional ATO for cloud.gov
- Provide both pre and post-sales engineering and cloud transition consulting for cloud.gov customers
Development Infostructure 1999-10-25 — 2015-11-06
Worked directly with Director of Development Services setting policy for application development, component and service architecture, software quality, and security strategy. Regularly lead small teams of 2 to 5 developers within an agile environment to produce applications for federal government clients.
- Team lead and architect for the <a href="http://github.com/cfpb/hmda-pilot">HMDA data validation pilot project</a> for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). The HMDA Pilot provides a client side tool to perform validation, error checking and reporting of HMDA files, following the specifications found on the <a href="http://www.ffiec.gov/hmda">FFIEC</a> website
- Developed a high-performance responsive training application for the Federal Acquisition Institute (FAI) utilizing node.js and AngularJS
- Lead effort for design and development of a document repository and web portal for Nathan Associates to collaborate and share documents and events with their teams distributed around the world
- Team lead and developer for <a href="http://ezro.devis.com">EZRO</a> content management and e-learning system used by several government agencies, including the Department of Labor, Department of Justice, and Department of State
- Team lead and developer for <a href="https://disability.gov">disability.gov</a>, the US Department of Labor (DOL) award winning portal for those with disabilities trying to find help within the federal government
- Helped develop an application for DOL Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) to help manage the <a href="http://www.dol.gov/odep/wrp/">Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP)</a>.
- Team lead and developer for <a href="https://nrd.gov">National Resource Directory (NRD)</a> for the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense.
- Developer for US Agency for International Development (USAID) <a href="http://cms.usaid.org">Credit Management System (CMS)</a>, a sophisticated Web database that allows over 200 commercial banks to report directly on individual loan status and losses. The system integrates data from the US Treasury Department to allow standard calculation of loans in both US Dollars and over 70 local currencies.
- Development team member of <a href="https://trainet-vcs.usaid.gov/">TraiNet/VCS</a>, USAID’s internet-based tools for gathering and reporting data on USAID exchanges, training and education, and for maintaining compliance with U.S. Government Visa requirement.
- Introduced SCRUM to company for organizing agile project teams
- Evaluated and proposed the use of Groovy/Grails as the standard stack for JVM projects
- Helped implement <a href="http://www.gebish.org/">Geb</a> for automated functional testing of web projects
- Lead the effort to first switch to the company's version control from CVS to Subversion, and then again over to git
- Responsible for mentoring other developers on topics of architecture and test driven development
- Designed security strategy for integrating security into the development process
- Evaluate and recommend training opportunities for development staff on secure software design and architecture
- Implemented SonarQube for analysis of software quality and code standardization
- Created prototypes for high risk features on projects as well as proof of concept applications for evaluating new technologies
Norfolk Southern Railroad 1998-07-06 — 1999-10-22
Worked within the Intranet/Internet Systems Group specializing in security and system administration on Sun Solaris and Windows NT servers.
- Evaluate the security of intranet applications written by internal development groups and outside vendors through whitebox and blackbox testing
- Created policy and procedure for securing Windows NT servers used across the corporation
- Wrote custom tools and scripts for system automation and security monitoring on Solaris servers
- Implemented and monitored intrusion detection systems for UNIX servers
- Implemented corporate intranet security decision support system in ASP to handle information security incidents
Advance Auto Parts 1996-10-06 — 1998-06-26
Responsible for building Internet presence from ground up. Included evaluation and determination of needs, selection of appropriate server hardware and software, and training end users and support personnel. Expanded existing Intranet services beyond filesharing and backup systems.
- Worked with Wide Area Network (WAN) group in selection process of ISP
- Installed and certified on Checkpoint Firewall-1 for securing Internet routes
- Installed and maintained Microsoft Exchange for corporate email
- Installed and maintained IIS web servers for both corporate website and intranet systems
- Helped create searchable corporate knowledge base application, written in ASP
- Administered both Windows NT and Novell NetWare based servers for corporate file sharing
Bank One Financial Card Services 1995-08-08 — 1996-09-22
Responsible for system and network administration in the check clearing division. Managed both Unix based servers and desktop systems, optical storage silos, and industry specific hardware, like check transport image scanners.
- Managed ethernet and token ring networks for Windows based desktops and servers
- Provided general administration on DEC Digital Unix and AT&T SysV Unix, file system maintenance and process improvement through the use of shell scripts
- Installed and diagnosed both PC and server hardware, like memory, modem and SCSI interfaces
- Managed and secured Internet connected systems for remote broker and client check clearing operations
American InterContinental University 2002-04-28 — 2004-06-04
Ohio University 1993-09-09 — 1995-06-10
University of Toledo 1992-08-24 — 1993-05-08
Agile Project Management
- Mac OSX
- 3D printing
Adam is a very capable leader and developer. I have worked alongside him for many years and have learned a lot not only about being a better developer but also about myself and what I can accomplish. He is someone that when times are tough, deadlines loom or the project is out of whack, I want on my team to help get us back on course and to completion.
— Justin Stockton, CUA
I have worked with Adam at two different companies and have known him for over a decade. Adam is the finest programmer I have ever had the pleasure to work with. His depth of knowledge of several languages and methodologies, most specifically Python, is astounding. He is a true self-starter and I have never known him to shy away from learning something new, often becoming an expert on the subject in a very short time. It should also be noted that he is one of the finest network security minds in the industry. I will always attempt to hire him whenever I'm in the position to do so.
— Scott Fallin
I had the privilege to work with Adam at a time when PC networking was beginning to take hold at Advance Auto Parts (AAP.) Adam was instrumental in advocating, architecting and implementing critical infrastructure services. As an IT professional Adam is diverse and a true technical wiz who loves solving problems and making disparate systems work uniformly. Problem solving, deep technical knowledge base, a strong foundation and Adam's personal commitment to his projects make him a bargain in consideration for employment. I would highly recommend him for just about any IT related activity as I have seen him rise to the occasion in many times of critical need. If you have the opportunity to leverage Adam as a resource consider yourself fortunate and have confidence that what you are attempting will be complete and functional on time and in budget.
— Samuel Schneider, CISSP